Friday, June 5, 2015

Mini Reviews: Wild Hearts and Perfect Couple

I had a super fun time doing these last time and mini reviews are definitely going to be a regular feature here at Fluttering Pages!  Lately, I’ve been in a contemporary mood.  So, here continues my quest of reading YA contemporaries. 

Wild Hearts by Jessica Burkhart 

Published: 2015

Genres: Contemporary
                                                     
Format: Paperback
                                                                




What is Wild Hearts about?
Brie Carter's father's land development business has taken her family all over the world,
but as soon as they arrive at their new home in Lost Spring, Wyoming, the town turns out to protest. They don't want a new hotel if the resident mustang population will be displaced or hurt as part of the deal. Then Brie meets Logan, a gorgeous local who has a special connection to the mustangs, and she is immediately drawn to him . . . and the horses. However, with Logan's father leading the protests and Brie's father refusing to budge, it's clear that their parents are heading towards an all-out war. Can Brie and Logan find a way to save the mustangs and be together? Or is their love doomed from the start? 

Characters/ Character Development: B+
I did like the characters in this book, really truly.  However, I had a couple of problems with them.  The romance in the book felt really insta-lovey to me.  Brie moves into town, and after running into Logan a few times, they’re falling for each other.  Then, after being together for about a month, she’s in love.  It just seemed really rushed to me.  I feel like I never got to see them get to know each other and I feel like their relationship didn’t really ever grow or change.  A part of that may have been the way it was written.  It seemed like there were many instances where the author would tell you something instead showing you. 
I loved the friendship that developed between Brie and Amy.  As I say often, there are not enough friendships in YA and I liked that Brie was able to have a friend to just do girl stuff with and talk about boys with. 
I also loved how much Brie’s family changes.  In the beginning, her Dad is very difficult and quite opposed to the horses.  I liked seeing them come around once they realized how much the horses meant to Brie. 

Plot: B+
The plot of this book was probably my favorite part.  I LOVED the horse angle and I don’t think there is enough YA book with horses.  It was wonderful to see Brie grow to love these horses and to see her passionate about something.  I liked that she worked hard and dedicated herself to her cause.  Brie saw a problem and worked hard to help fix it.  I really just loved reading about horses, because I am a horse lover myself.  

Rating:







Overall, I enjoyed Wild Hearts and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a light, fluffy quick read and anyone who likes horses.  I didn’t enjoy this one as much as the other books in the series, but still found it to be cute, if a bit predictable and cliche.  I enjoyed Wild Hearts and am looking forward to the next book in the If Only series. 


Perfect Couple by Jennifer Echols

Published: 2015

Genres: Contemporary
                                                     
Format: Paperback               
                                                                




What is Perfect Couple about?
Can your heart be put to a popular vote?

As yearbook photographer, Harper is responsible for capturing those candid moments that make high school memorable. But her own life is anything but picture perfect. Her parents' bitter divorce has left her wondering what a loving relationship would look like. And ever since the senior class voted her and star quarterback Brody the “Perfect Couple That Never Was,” her friends have been on her case to ask Brody out.

Brody doesn’t lack in female admirers, but Harper can't see herself with him. He seems confused about why they were matched together, too. They’re total opposites—the last people in the world who would ever be compatible, let alone the “perfect couple.” Yet ever since the class paired the two of them, they've found themselves drawn together--first by curiosity, then by an undeniable bond.

The trouble is, though they're very attracted to each other and both of them admit this, they have a hard time getting along or even communicating clearly. If they’re the perfect couple, this shouldn’t be so difficult! Soon it becomes clear their class was wrong, and they throw in the towel. But after they walk away, both of them feel so changed from making the effort that they can’t forget each other. What if that means this match made in hell is the perfect couple after all?

Thoughts:

Characters/Character Development: A-
I enjoyed all of the characters in this book.  This is another YA book set in high school, but the high school setting was even more prominent than usual.  I actually really liked how close knit the high school felt.  You really got the feeling that everyone knew each other and had been going to school with each other since kindergarten.  The main character, Harper was fun and I liked her.  However, she was a little too nice sometimes and totally let certain people walk all over her.  I really liked the whole makeover that Harper gave herself, but at the same time it felt like she was changing herself just for a guy, which I did not like. 
However, I really did like the characters and I also liked how Harper had her friends that she could rely on.  In some books, there are plenty of background characters, but they just feel thrown in there and they seem useless.  I didn’t feel that way with Perfect Couple.  I loved all of the characters and felt like all of them had a part in the book and I am really interested in reading their stories in the other books in this series. 

Plot: A-
The plot was basically about Harper and Brody, the ones chosen for “The Perfect Couple That Never Was” getting together.  There were other things going on, and this book is kind of hard to sum up.  Harper and Brody are two people that don’t really seem to go together.  However, they start to rethink things when they are chosen for that category in their yearbook.  It followed Harper through all the normal drama in her high school, but also as she dealt with her feelings for Brody and with all of Brody’s antics.

Rating:





I just had a really fun time reading Perfect Couple and it totally makes me want to pick up the other books in this series.  Honestly, the word I keep coming back to when I think of this book is “fun”.  Because, honestly, that’s just exactly what this book was.  I had a blast reading this and I can’t wait to get my hand on the rest of the series.  I definitely recommend this series if you like contemporary YA. 

Olivia

Have you read either of these books?  Are you in the mood for contemporaries too?  Let me know!











6 comments:

  1. I haven't read either of the books, but I am looking forward to reading the second one! It's pretty popular around the circle of contemporary fans, especially Nick @ Nick's Book Blog! She's pretty enthusiastic about this as a whole. So sorry to know about Wild Hearts, though... I think falling in love in a short amount of time can be okay, AS LONG as the way it is written does not feel rushed. A couple can have a lot of experiences in a week or two, or even a month, but if the romance doesn't show us their shared experiences, then it would feel nothing but fast-paced :/

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the falling in love in a short amount of time thing. I do think it's believable, depending on the circumstances. I just don't think it worked for me in this one.
      I'll have to check out Nick's Book Blog. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Nice reviews. I haven't read Jennifer Echols in awhile. She is a local girl, I used to keep up with her, but I haven't in awhile.
    Added you to my Feedly and G+ and am looking forward to your posts. I don't do GFC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was the first book by her i'd read, and I really enjoyed it. Thanks <3

      Delete
  3. I've been eyeing Perfect Couple for a while now! It looks ultimately cute, and so glad that you liked it, girl :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super cute! You should pick it up sometime this summer - definitely a great beach read. I hope you like it! :)

      Delete