Thursday, September 24, 2015

The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley Review

The Fairytale Detectives by Michael Buckley
Published: 2005

Genres: Middle Grade, Fairytale, Fantasy, Mystery







Synopsis:

For Sabrina and Daphne Grimm, life hasn't been a fairy-tale. After the mysterious disappearance of their parents, the sisters are sent to live with their grandmother - a woman they believed was dead! Granny Relda that the girls have two famous ancestors, the Brothers Grimm, whose classic book of fairy-tales is actually a history book that documents magical mischief. Now the girls must take on the family responsibility of being fairy-tale detectives. Their first case? a roller-coaster ride of an adventure to stop a giant from destroying their new home town.

Thoughts:

I picked up this series based on some very high recommendations from friends of mine.  And I am SO GLAD that I did because I absolutely adored it. 

I love the premise of this series.  Our two main characters, Sabrina and Daphne are the descendants of the brothers Grimm.  Therefore, they are responsible for keeping the peace and solving the crimes between the “everafters” and the humans.   In this world, the fairytales aren’t fairytales.  Those “stories” that the brothers Grimm wrote were very real.  And it’s their job to maintain the fragile balance between everything.

Sabrina and Daphne are both adorable and instantly likeable.  Sabrina is the older sister, and always used to taking care of Daphne.  They’ve both been through so much since their parents disappearance and they’re both such strong girls.  Sabrina can be bossy at times, and is somewhat distrusting and headstrong.  She is stubborn a lot of the time and doesn’t want to listen to anything or anyone.  Daphne is so sweet and adorable.  She’s more friendly and trusting, yet still had great instincts.  Daphne is always great for a laugh, but she can be serious when needed.  It seems like sometimes Daphne’s really the one in charge and she’s definitely smarter than everyone probably gives her credit for. They complement each other so nicely, both have great instincts, and street smarts, and know what to do in a tough situation. 

Their relationship with Granny Relda was adorable.  They are apprehensive at first (mainly Sabrina) but I loved seeing them come around.  Relda has to be the most awesome grandmother ever.  There were so many times when I was like”she’s SO awesome!!”  I did really love that the girls were able to have Granny Relda.  It’s so great for the girls to be back with family again, especially after so long when they didn’t have anyone.   

I also just really love Sabrina and Daphne’s relationship.  It seems like you don’t often get two sisters as the main characters.  I love sibling relationships in books, and I love that this series focuses on that.  They reminded me a lot of me and my little sister.

I thought the world was so cool and really unique.  Having all of these fairytale characters and creatures all in one town was awesome.  I love how they were a part of the town, (such as the police or the Mayor).  You felt like there was so much history between all of these characters and things that we don’t really know yet.  We’re discovering things just as Sabrina and Daphne are. 

Rating:




To Conclude:

I loved this book so much and can’t wait to continue on with this series.  Even though it’s a children’s series, it’s fun and appealing to all ages.  There’s so many endless mysteries to solve and histories between the character and in the town.  I know I’ll be eagerly following Sabrina and Daphne along on their journeys as long as they continue.  


Olivia

2 comments:

  1. I typically avoid middle grade but good job on this review. It's pretty convincing. Maybe I'll recommend it to a younger cousin of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, this sounds way too frigging cute to pass up! I'm in love with stories that are in the middle between "reality" and "fairy tales" lately (have you read SCHOOL FOR GOOD AND EVIL yet???), so I'll definitely check this one out. I'm already smiling at the cuteness of it XP

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete