Monday, June 22, 2015

Review: To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

To All The Boys I've Loved Before By Jenny Han

Published: 2014

Genres: Contemporary 
                                                     
Format: Hardcover
                                                                





What is To All The Boys I've Loved Before about?

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all. 

Thoughts:

Oh my gosh, I loved this book so much.  I had been waiting to read To All The Boys I've Loved Before for a year now, and while it was definitely worth the wait, I wish I'd had read it sooner!  Although, then I wouldn't been able to read both of the books right away.


In To All The Boys I've Loved Before, we get to follow Lara Jean as all her love letters get sent out. The idea of five of her old crushes receiving these letters all at the same time was what initially drew me to this book. Quite honestly, though, I thought the letters and the other guys would play more of a role in the book. I imagined it would be hectic and hilarious with all of these guys knocking on her door all at once.


Even thought it wasn't like that, I still loved it. I liked watching Peter and Lara Jean and the whole situation had a very Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West kind of vibe.  I loved how Peter was so sweet to Kitty and he got along so good with her whole family.  Even though it seemed like Lara Jean and Peter might not have a whole lot in common, somehow they worked good together.  I did ship them, but not as fiercely as I would have liked.  Peter was great, but I wasn't in love with him. Something felt off and I couldn't quite put a finger on it. Maybe I just didn't trust him.


I really loved the MC, Lara Jean.  She was so nice and down to earth and relatable.  She was so sweet and just the kind of person who you'd want to have as a best friend.  She is amazing at baking and is always making all kinds of delicious sweets.   Gosh, she was making me so hungry. She also does scrapbooking too which is just so adorable.

I loved the sister relationships in this book. Lara Jean and her sisters, Margot and Kitty were so so amazing. And their dad too. Growing up without their mom must have been so hard and all three of them really stepped up to take care of things around the house. They were there for each other and helped each other with any kind of issue they had.  I think because of not having a mother figure, they really all had to step up for each other and I think that brought them closer.

I loved Kitty so much I can't even put it into words. Having a little sister Kitty's age myself, I could totally relate.  Kitty was fierce and spunky and didn't take no for an answer. She has such a bold personality and was really mature for her age. She was always the one doing fancy hairstyles on Lara Jean or giving her advice. It cracked me up at how much Kitty knew for her age, but I guess it comes from having two older sisters.

I also appreciated watching Lara try to figure out things now that her older sister. Margot was away at college. Margot had pretty much assumed the mother figure. And kept everyone in line. At first, she feels lost without her, but her and Kitty really step up and do a wonderful job at taking care of things in the house and their dad. I really admire Lara.  She's such a great older sister. She always is cooking dinner for her family and makes Kitty lunch for school everyday and sends her with all kinds of baked goods.   She's involved in Kitty's school functions from PTA stuff to bake sales.


Lara Jean faced some issues in this book, from dealing with Josh, to Genevieve and Peter's relationship.  As well as the scandal at the Ski Trip with Peter.  I really think the while unpleasant, dealing with these issues really helped Lara Jean to grow and mature and learn.




Rating:






Final Thoughts:

To All The Boys I've Loved Before was great and had me laughing out loud or cringing at all the right places.  I loved this book so much and I can say that this is one of my favorite contemporary novels now.  Contemporary is not always one of my favorite genres, and it isn't easy for me to find one that really speaks to me or one that I can say is my favorite. But, To All The Boys I've Loved Before did it all.


Olivia


Have you read To All The Boys I've Loved Before?  What did you think?  I loved this one so much and had so many thoughts and I can't wait to review P.S. I Still Love You!!

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved To All The Boys I Loved Before! Peter was definitely one of my favorites, along with Lara and Kitty. Who am I kidding, I loved the entire family! I'll be picking up P.S I Still Love You very soon, and I can't wait to see if Lara & Peter finally become a " thing ". Great review Olivia, I'm so glad you enjoyed this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I love this book. Wasn't it so much fun to read? I agree with you, I thought that it would be more hectic. These were some really nice guys haha. I know some guys who would laugh if they had gotten letters like this. So I guess that's good for Lara Jean that they didn't embarrass her about it or shared it with other people.

    As you already know, I am absolutely in love with Peter Kavinsky. I just love how he was with her family, especially Kitty. I really liked him but I didn't fully trust him either. It really bothered me how much he kept going back to Genevieve -- even though they weren't even official haha I loved how easy going their relationship was and how they bicker.

    One of my favorite things about this book is the family value. I love their dad, he's so sweet and he's trying to hard. I cried a couple of times when they would talk about growing up without their mom. Ugh. I love the sisters and how close they were. I love love love Kitty. She was so spunky! Great review!

    Anjie @ Love thy Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I've wanted to read this book for SO long. I keep hearing so many good things about it. Hope you enjoy the second one too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my very best real-life friends just recommended this to me, so I'm now even more excited now that I see you loved it too Olivia! :D It sounds like such a cute and hilarious read and I can't wait to experience it for myself. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete